Our Lady of Fatima Church 75th anniversary
  

The Genesis
Church entrance
         Our  Lady  of  Fatima  Church  located  on Velachery  Road in East Tambaram, Chennai  600059, in the District of Kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu, South India. The Church is under the Diocese of Chengelpet headed by His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. Neethinathan Bishop of Chengelpet.

          Our Parish had a very humble begining, initally under the Archidiocese of Madras-Mylapore, we started as a substation of St. Francis Xavier's Church Pallavaram. The then Parish Priest of Pallavaram Rev. Fr. Joseph Nazarene Rodriquez built a small Church in Tambaram in 1936 and it was blessed and opened by His Excellency  Rt. Rev. Querreiro the Bishop of Mylapore in 1937.

         Since 1939 Rev. Fr. Nazarene began his ministry at Tambaram and on 31st May 1942, Tambaram was made a separate Parish. Rev. Fr. Nazarene was made the first Parish Priest. The beautiful statue of Our Lady of Fatima which still adorns the Church was brought from Portugal.

Succession of Parish Priests

S. No.

Names

Year

Diocese/religious order

1

Rev. Fr. Nazarene Rodriguez

1942 -1945

 Mylaproe

2

Rev. Fr. Maria Joseph C.G.

1952 - 1953

Mylaproe

3

Rev. Fr. Rayan A.S.

1953 - 1959

Madras – Mylaproe

4

Rev. Fr. Mani C.J.       

1959 - 1964

Madras – Mylaproe

5

Rev. Fr. Manthuvani O

1964 - 1965

Madras – Mylaproe

6

Rev. Fr. Sathur K.L.

1965 - 1971

Madras – Mylaproe

7

Rev. Fr. Thomas Scaria

1971 - 1975

Madras – Mylaproe

8

Rev. Fr Joseph Thyparampil

1975 - 1987

Madras – Mylaproe

9

Rev. Fr. Francis K.J.

1987 - 1994

Madras – Mylaproe

10

Rt Rev. Dr. Antony Devotta

1994 - 1995

Madras – Mylaproe

11

Rev. Fr. Arputhasamy

1995 - 1998

Madras – Mylaproe

12

Rev. Fr. Joseph R.

1998 - 2000

Jesuit

13

Rev. Fr. Anthonysamy   

2000 - 2002

Madras – Mylaproe

14

Rev. Fr. Arulappa E.

2002 - 2008

Chingleput

15

Rev. Fr. Arulraj A.       

2008 - 

Chingleput

         Rev. Fr. C.J. Mani started the elementary school in 1960. Fr. Joseph Thyparambil was one of the pioneers to start in this Parish the Small Christian Communities (S.C.C), which is called as Anpiams (B.C.C.) today. Then in 1987 Rev. Fr. K.J. Francis was made the Parish Priest, He is one among the Parish Priests who won the hearts of most of the Parishners, he also built the present church and the presbytery.


View Larger Map

         Then after the bifurcation of the Diocese of chengelpet in 2002. Rev. Fr. E. Arulappa was appointed as the Parish Priest. Before coming to the parish, Rev. Fr. E. Arulappa went on a pilgrilmage to Fatima, Portugal and came with a vision to renovate the old grotto. He also started the novena devotion to our Lady of Fatima on the 13th of every month in the Parish Church. With the upgrading of the School as Higher Secondary, he made the required plans for the extension of the School and built the first floor of the Parish hall. He also built the beautiful Adoration Chapel. The last major work that Rev. Fr. E. Arulappa undertook was the renovation of the church's floor with marbles, especially the Alter.

The Alter

         In the year 2008 Rev. Fr. A. Arulraj succeeded as Parish Priest, as soon as He took charge Rev. Fr. A. Arulraj made a lot of significant changes in the Church premises, completed the extension work of St. Joseph School and continuing the works started by his predecessors. In a view of making the campus eco-friendly, he started expanding the gardens in the Church and started a greenary bank to make the parishners actively participate towards the devolepment of the eco-system. To bring about the practice of reading the Bible, he also started a Bible bank to help people follow the Scriptures in the Holy Mass and other services.